Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) are vital for healthy skin. They help keep the skin plump and smooth. EFA’s boosts the skins immunity which helps fight bacterial infections, essential for acne skin types. They have excellent anti-inflammatory properties, beneficial to acne, eczema and other inflammatory conditions. EFA’s also have high fibre content which aids the elimination of toxins. This will create a healthier body and healthier skin. Remember, most skin conditions are caused by an imbalance in the body.
Common signs of EFA’s deficiency are:
- Sensitive skin
- Dry hair
- Rough skin
- Scalp conditions e.g. Dandruff
Foods that provide Essential Fatty Acids
Nuts: Brazil, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Cashew nuts, Pistachio. These should be non-salted and non-roasted. For easier digestion and absorption these should be chewed really well.
Seeds: Flax seeds, Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds. These need to be chewed well or can be ground up in a grinder and sprinkled over cereal.
Oily Fish: Salmon, Fresh Tuna, Mackerel, Herring, Sardines. (Excellent sources of EFA’s and protein without saturated fat.)
Some benefits of good intake of Essential Fatty Acids
- Improved immunity
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps keep the skin looking plump, smooth and youthful
- Improved memory
- Beneficial effect on menopausal symptoms
- Eases pre-menstrual tension
- Aids in balancing hormones
- Positive effect on moods
- Aids toxin elimination through bowel rather than skin, allowing for clearer skin
- Beneficial effect on joint problems and arthritis (anti-inflammatory)
- Helps reduce LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Essential for healthy heart
- Improved skin, hair and nails